War chanting

Moderator: Séamus na nAor

Antworten
Cpt. Dylan Perkins

War chanting

Beitrag von Cpt. Dylan Perkins » 1. Jul 2019, 20:27

Last year the musicians were a hit! If you're a drummer and you're reading this, thank you, you guys are awesome, please come back! I'm hyped to see you again!

Additionally, I have another idea this year that I think would synergize :)

I'm thinking, sometimes in battle there are pauses. We're just standing there, looking at the enemy army while they reposition or we measure our forces or we wait for a siege weapon... and it feels like there's some dead air or something. And I thought, hey, football matches solved this issue a long time ago:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=igQrfeMNB_E

Why can't we do the same? Wouldn't it be awesome to have something very very simple (maybe even without lyrics, just "oe oe oe" or something) to chant together and kind of get a sense of unity and encouragement and anticipation for for battle, make noise, make our presence noted, have fun, mock the enemy, forget about the fact that we're probably about to die? Wouldn't that be fun to do and also fun to play against?

I think it would! What's more, I think if we find ourselves again with the whole army formed in front of the Green camp and we sing and we mock them together and then we don't have a siege weapon and so we just pack and walk all the way back home, we just transformed a kind of embarrassing moment into a very funny POWER MOVE "we just came here to mock you, have a nice evening" that I think would be super funny and very much in line with the Blue camp.

And then I thought "I can't possibly be the first one who had this idea" and asked Ernesto/Cpt. Gardenier who happens to be a historian and yeah, actually that used to happen a lot in armies throughout history. He found two examples that were a bit more elaborate and maybe you'll like more, although I'd totally try for some super dumb chant:

:arrow: Apparently the Bretons used to have a druid of sorts walk up in front of the lines and shout a few insults and curses and kind of put on a show that would hopefully scare the enemy. Kind of like a one-person haka. This could be cool sometimes but it would also not work through the walls, have problems with pacing, only have one person have fun and depend on one person to put on a show; and it would probably not scare anyone anyway. Still it could be cool.

:arrow: Apparently the Saxons did a thing that I don't know what it was called but let's call it "wave-shouting": The person on one extreme of the army shouts, then the one to his side, then the one to his side, and so on, and so they'd make kind of like a shout that comes and goes from side to side.

What do you think about these? I think they could be fun for everyone. We could adopt something historical or get creative. Would you do this? Do you have any idea to throw here?

Antworten